About Me

Howdy!
My name is Kaitlin Tyler. I am a Junior Horticulture major from Sachse, TX, but more importantly, I am a loud and proud member of the Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2016! This summer I earned the opportunity to be an intern for one of the most prominent retail nurseries in the Dallas/ Ft. Wort area: Calloway's Nursery. This is a 10 week internship where I will have the chance to gain valuable experience in each of the areas important to the operation of a retail nursery. This blog is all about my intern experiences this summer.

Saturday, July 26, 2014

It's Over

I am officially through with my internship at Calloway's. It has been an amazing journey that has taught me so much. I enjoyed every minute of it.
On Thursday, I started off working on the weekly specials email, making corrections or changes to the designs on the panels. I put together the one page printable for the specials. While each of those were going through the approval process, I was working on the final pieces of my presentation. I created the last of my ads. I began trying to make a poster for my berry program. The other two interns and I decided to go out to lunch together and talk about the different programs we were working on. It was interesting to hear about the different experiences we had even though we were all interns. We worked at different stores so we each did things a little bit differently. We were riding with the GM during different weeks, so different things were going on in the stores each week. We were each working with different buyers on different projects. In marketing, we worked in different areas in the department where different actives were going on. When I got back from lunch, I got back to work on my posters. Eventually, I decided to draw a design out on paper instead of trying to make something work in Photoshop without a basic idea of what I wanted to do. I went to present to  the Vice President of Merchandising and my buyer again. This time we ran through the entire presentation and found any mistakes and they asked me questions that my audience would likely ask to make sure I was as prepared as possible. I really appreciated the tips and advice because it helped me feel prepared and know what I needed to do to be ready for my final presentation. When that was completed, I went back to marketing to make the final corrections on the email and schedule the send to all of the garden club. I also uploaded the one page printables to the website. The next morning everything was set up to be uploaded to the website and sent to the garden club.
On Friday, I made the final corrections and finished my poster for my presentation. I arrived at work at 9 and was ready for my 2 o'clock presentation by 10:30. I uploaded the weekly specials to the website. My supervisor then had me work with one of the other interns to create a new template for the printable to match the new website. It was my opportunity to leave my mark on the new website. Once we had a good rough draft created, we printed it out to present to the Director of Marketing. I started setting up for my presentation. After some technical difficulties, I was set up and ready to present. At 2, I started my presentation for right around 20 people. I have done presentations to larger groups of people, but this one, I knew that everyone in that room was going to be able to tell if I didn't know my programs like the back of my hand. It was nerve wracking at the beginning, but as I kept going and saw just how much I knew, I got more confident. I presented for just under an hour and was able to answer every question. At the end, everyone thought it went very well and that I had been very thorough. I had even managed to get a couple laughs into my presentation.
Saying goodbye to all of the people I worked with was hard. I loved every second I worked with this company. Each person I worked with was more than happy to help me with anything I needed. I met some amazing people at this company and I hope that when I get out of school that I have the opportunity to come back for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment