About Me

Howdy!
My name is Kaitlin Tyler. I am a Junior Horticulture major from Sachse, TX, but more importantly, I am a loud and proud member of the Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2016! This summer I earned the opportunity to be an intern for one of the most prominent retail nurseries in the Dallas/ Ft. Wort area: Calloway's Nursery. This is a 10 week internship where I will have the chance to gain valuable experience in each of the areas important to the operation of a retail nursery. This blog is all about my intern experiences this summer.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The End is in Sight

Its been another 2 days in marketing, and this department is finally slowing down. We have been in the final stages of building the new Calloway's website. Everyone in the department is proofing some part of the website. It appears to be very close to being complete. When it is up for the public, it is going to look absolutely amazing!
On Tuesday, my big focus was building some ads for newspapers and email for my berries and ferns. I also worked on making some posters for my berries, but I couldn't make anything that really sang for me. I decided to take a break from posters and focus more on my actual presentation. I made some edits to make the content more understandable and started thinking of the commentary I will use for each slide. As I work through, I make sure I know my facts and figures inside and out and that I can answer any questions about how the figures were derived. I also try to think of what questions my audience will have as I go through; things like: how did we increase the profit margin, what did you figure in to make the projected margin more realistic, where will we buy the plants, how much will it cost us, how will we do compared to last year, why will we do that well, how much will marketing cost. I am basically ensuring I am an expert on my programs. My slides describing my general experiences in each stage of the internship are also coming along very well. I think this presentation will go very well if I can keep my nerves down.
Today, I began working on the weekly email ad for Friday. Since it is my second time, it is going a little bit easier and faster. I just need upper management to approve them and I will be set to work on uploading the specials to the website. This afternoon, I met with the interior plants buyer to go over that part of the presentation again and make some adjustments to make the data more understandable. He gave me some tips on improving that part of my presentation and we made plans to run through that part on Friday before the real presentation. When I returned from that meeting, one of the other interns reached a stopping point in her project and asked some questions about what I was working on. We started working together to build the Cornelius email. We built some of the ads and I showed her how to navigate the software we use to create and send the emails. It was amazing to realize how much I have actually learned and been able to explain in such a short time. By the time the day was over, I had completed the emails and printables for both Calloway's and Cornelius.
Tomorrow, I will get approval on the emails, upload the specials to the website and finish up my presentation. I will also hopefully have the chance to meet with the Director of Marketing to go over my presentation and get her thoughts. My adventure is almost over, but I am still learning so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment