About Me

Howdy!
My name is Kaitlin Tyler. I am a Junior Horticulture major from Sachse, TX, but more importantly, I am a loud and proud member of the Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2016! This summer I earned the opportunity to be an intern for one of the most prominent retail nurseries in the Dallas/ Ft. Wort area: Calloway's Nursery. This is a 10 week internship where I will have the chance to gain valuable experience in each of the areas important to the operation of a retail nursery. This blog is all about my intern experiences this summer.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Marketing: Telling You Why You Want to Buy Stuff

Today, I start my final week at Calloway's. I do my final presentation on Friday and I am so excited and ridiculously nervous, but I will talk about that more when it gets closer. I finished one week in Marketing. This department has been extremely busy this week. On Monday and Tuesday, I set to work trying to decide how I wanted to advertise the products I worked on in Merchandising. I worked on some ads for email and newspapers. I am putting together a clinic for my berry program to teach people about growing berries and help them be more comfortable with growing them. I am also trying to put together some berry recipes to entice people to attend the clinic. I am planning on including ideas for how to display them and where to ideally place them in the stores. I've done a lot more with the berry program than the fern program because the ferns almost sell themselves. I have put together some of the wording for my ads but I haven't constructed the actual Ads yet. On Wednesday, I started pulling together ads for the Weekly Specials Email. This emails is the big one we send out every Friday with the sales for the week. It is sent to every member of the Garden Clubs of Calloway's and Cornelius. To build the email, I used Photoshop to create a banner. The banner in made of a Title that ties into a majority of the items on sale, a picture that elicits an emotional response like a serene garden, a couple planting together, or kids playing in a colorful yard, a couple of vibrant picture of the sale plants and the Store Logo. Underneath that, we list the sale plants by category (annuals, perennials, tropicals, trees & shrubs). When we have listed the products on sale, we let people know of the upcoming events we have. Usually it is clinics or garden book signings. After all of that we list the store hours, a link to a printable ad, a button to forward it and the dates the sales are good.  On Thursday, once the email was constructed, I made the one page printable ads where we summarize the sales. We just list the products and their sale prices. After the printable, we set up the web ad. It follows the exact same format on as the email except it is on our website. The ad is constructed on a private webpage the day before and the following morning, is uploaded to the actual page customers will click on. During this whole process, I got extremely familliar with the approval process. First, I made it, then my supervisor looks at it and makes recommendations, then I take it to another marketing employee who proofs it and will either send it back to me for corrections or send it on to the Director of Marketing or the Vice President of Merchandising, whichever one is available or hasn't seen it. When they proof it, they check grammar, syntax, that all the information is correct, and then look at the overall appeal of the ad. They may ask for the wording of an ad to be change or for some formatting to fixed. Then they might ask for a different emotional photo in the banner because the current one was used 2 weeks ago or it doesn't reflect the season very well. It is a long process, but it ensures the best possible ad gets sent out. On Friday, uploaded the web ad to the website. Then I was asked to help put together the binders for the Calloway's Vendor Partnership program. Each vendor in the program gets their own binder that contains every newspaper, email or web ad that mentions one of their products. These binders are then packed up in binders with a letter from the Vice President of Merchandising and shipped to each vendor.

This week, I will put the finishing touches on my presentation and continue learning about Marketing. I can not believe this internship is almost over. These past 9 weeks have flown by and I have learned so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment